If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with
Last February, I was planning to move back to Tennessee before the summer's end. A year later, I can't see myself ever moving back to Tennessee. Which is one reason I try not to get too worked up over planning my near futurama, despite the occasional type-A inclination to do so.
But I'm at the nomad age, God bless it, and have no official career nor mortgage. I have to spend a small amount of time pondering the end of my verbal lease with Pete coming this September. Joining Americorps is something I'd really like to do and would make a move to the city more feasible. It seems a bitch in fees to move anywhere near Manhattan, so the program's relocation funding might help. And I'd have a job for one full calendar year, barring another social hiccup.
Still, almost every night I come home from work and find myself practically aching over the dark, quiet, open sky. It reminds me of the eclipse walk I took in Montauk two months after moving here, when I decided that I hadn't made a huge mistake after all. I truly love living in this area. I love knowing that the ocean is a ten-minute drive from my house. I love how desolate it feels during the winter. I love how crowded and pretentious it feels during the summer. I love the guy at the ma-pa drugstore who knows all about the battle at Stones River and told me so after reading the address on my birth control prescription. And I love the duck. I don't know if I'm ready to leave. Unfortunately, Americorps doesn't offer programs on Long Island. Thus I might have to endure another winter of scrounging for work, this time with hefty student loan bills to pay.
Looking back, it wasn't that bad. Was it?
But I'm at the nomad age, God bless it, and have no official career nor mortgage. I have to spend a small amount of time pondering the end of my verbal lease with Pete coming this September. Joining Americorps is something I'd really like to do and would make a move to the city more feasible. It seems a bitch in fees to move anywhere near Manhattan, so the program's relocation funding might help. And I'd have a job for one full calendar year, barring another social hiccup.
Still, almost every night I come home from work and find myself practically aching over the dark, quiet, open sky. It reminds me of the eclipse walk I took in Montauk two months after moving here, when I decided that I hadn't made a huge mistake after all. I truly love living in this area. I love knowing that the ocean is a ten-minute drive from my house. I love how desolate it feels during the winter. I love how crowded and pretentious it feels during the summer. I love the guy at the ma-pa drugstore who knows all about the battle at Stones River and told me so after reading the address on my birth control prescription. And I love the duck. I don't know if I'm ready to leave. Unfortunately, Americorps doesn't offer programs on Long Island. Thus I might have to endure another winter of scrounging for work, this time with hefty student loan bills to pay.
Looking back, it wasn't that bad. Was it?


2 Comments:
While the thought of continuing life in Tennessee without you pains me, I am so, so glad you have found happiness where you live. At the beginning, it was rough. I remember the phone calls and the desperation and the unconsolable loneliness. You were in bad shape for several weeks.
But you've done so well and I'm so proud of you.
That totally touched my heart more than Jesus ever could.
Thank you.
Post a Comment
<< Home